National Library of WalesMatching Impressions
|Has Good Prints?||no|
|Has Partial Prints?||no|
Description of Content
Confirmation by Nicholas [Nicholas ap Gwrgant, AD 1149 - 1183], Bishop of Llandaff, to Margam Abbey, of all things which Rodbert [d. AD 1147], Earl of Gloucester, gave for construction of an Abbey into the hands of the monks of Clairvaux, viz., all the land between Auen and Chenefeg, from the brow of the hills to the sea, as the waters descend from the hills, and the fisheries of Auen; and of the gift of William, [AD 1147 - 1173], Earl of Gloucester, son of the above, all the wreck on that land, and the fishery of Chenefeg; and of the gift of Roger de Haubertunia, with assent of William Scurlag, [See Mr G. T. Clark’s Cartae, No. lxiv, AD 1205], the Grange of Langewi. Witnesses: Bertramnus, Prior of Eweni [Founded in AD 1141]; Peter, Hugh, Adam, Edwine, monks of Gloucester; Herewald and William, canons of Llandaff ; William, chaplain of Rumi; Adam son of Walter, Roger de Bona - uilla, Richard de Rumi, Thomas de Landiltuit, Alward de Penmarc. [Latin] Pointed oval seal, red wax, edge chipped, 3¼ x 2 in., appended by a cord. The Bishop, with mitre and vestments, holding a staff or crozier in the left hand, lifting up the right hand in benediction. + SIGI......NICHOLAI. D[EI . GRAC]IA . LANDAVENSIS . EPISCOPI.
Parties (from repository catalogue)
1) Nicholas, bishop of Llandaff 2) Church of St. Mary, Margam
|Colour of Wax||red|
|Condition of Wax||Chipped|
|Vertical Size (mm)||76|
|Horizontal Size (mm)||52|
Man vested for mass and wearing an archaic mitre standing full face towards the viewer. His right hand is raised in blessing and the left hand holds a crosier.
Made with Matrix
[. . . . .]¶ [. . . . .] N[. . .]O[. . . . . . . . . . .]A LANDAVENSIS EPISCOP[.]
¶ stands for head of crosier